Official websites use .mil
Secure .mil websites use HTTPS
Peterson Space Force Base is located in Colorado Springs, Colorado, at an altitude of 6,035 feet and shares runways with the Colorado Springs Airport. Space Base Delta 1, headquartered at Peterson SFB, supports 111 mission partners including North American Aerospace Defense Command, U.S. Northern Command, U.S. Space Command, Space Operations Command and the 302nd Airlift Wing (Reserve).
Peterson SFB traces its roots to the Colorado Springs Army Air Base, established on April 28, 1942, at the Colorado Springs Municipal Airport, which had been in operation since 1926. The base renamed to Peterson Army Air Base, also known as Peterson Field, Dec. 13, 1942, in honor of the late 1st Lt. Edward J. Peterson.
On Dec. 31, 1945, shortly after the end of World War II, the Army inactivated the base returning the property to the city of Colorado Springs. In 1947, after the birth of the U.S. Air Force, the base reactivated from Sept. 29, 1947, to Jan. 15, 1948, and again from Sept. 22, 1948, into 1949.
The Air Force reactivated Peterson Field once more following the Jan. 1951 establishment of Air Defense Command at Ent AFB in Colorado Springs – now where the USA Olympic Training Center is located. The 4600th Air Base Group was designated as the 4600th Air Base Wing in 1958, and then predesignated as the 46th Aerospace Defense Wing April 1, 1975. On March 1, 1976, Peterson Field was renamed Peterson AFB.
1st Space Wing was activated Jan. 1, 1983 and the 46th Aerospace Defense Wing deactivated on Apr. 1, the same year. The 3rd Space Support Wing activated Oct. 15, 1986. These two wings deactivated May 15, 1992 and transferred to the newly activated 21st Space Wing.
On July 22, 2020, the 21st Space Wing was reorganized as part of Space Base Delta 1. Peterson AFB was renamed Peterson Space Force Base in July 2021.