An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

HomeNewsroomNewsArticle Display

Article - Article View

Re-licensure and re-certification reimbursement for spouses


On May 23, 2019, the Air Force Accounting and Finance Office has signed a policy for Air Force reimbursement for state re-licensure and re-certification costs of dependent spouses.  This policy now reimburses dependent spouses for re-licensure expenses incurred after December 13, 2017 as long as the member’s orders were authenticated on or after December 12, 2017.  This is not a one-time program.  Airmen may seek reimbursement for each qualifying permanent change of station or permanent change of assignment, providing the circumstances meet the criteria specified in the policy.  This program does not reimburse costs for obtaining licenses for a new profession. It only reimburses the re-licensing costs for previously or currently held professions.

To file a claim, members will need to provide the following documentation to their host finance office: a copy of their PCS/PCA orders, a copy of their spouse’s state occupational license or certification from the previous duty location, a copy of their spouse’s state occupational license or certification from new duty location, and the paid receipts.  The member will also fill out an OF1164 that is located on the self-help computers in the Financial Management Flight section.  The reimbursement is not to exceed $500 and the cost must have occurred and been paid after the date the PCS/PCA orders had been certified.

In accordance with the new guidance, below are a few key points on how your dependent spouse can receive reimbursement for their re-licensure/re-certification expenses:

  • Airman’s PCS/PCA orders must be authenticated on or after December 12, 2017
  • Movement of the Airman’s dependents is authorized at government expense
  • The Airman is PCSing/PCAing from a duty station in one state to a duty station in another state (may not be from OCONUS)
  • Not authorized for moves upon accession, Career Intermission Program, retirement or separation from the armed forces
  • Qualifying re-licensing and re-certification costs must be incurred and paid after the date the Airman’s PCS/PCA orders are issued and within 24 months of the date the member’s PCS/PCA orders are certified

Financial Management customer service walk-in hours are from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding down days and holidays. For questions contact customer service at 719-556-4770, or send an email to

You can also contact the Airman & Family Readiness Center at 719-556- 6141, the Department of Labor website at, and the DoD Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program at There is also free career coach counseling which is available at 1-800-342-9647.

Peterson SFB Schriever SFBCheyenne Mountain SFSThule AB New Boston SFS Kaena Point SFS Maui